Chinese New Year 2021
Dear Valued Client,
The Chinese New Year (CNY) of 2021 is fast approaching with most provinces closing for this traditional festival from 11th to 17th Feb, 2021.
As you know, space and the equipment shortage remain the biggest challenges to shipping prior to the Chinese New Year.
Space for sailings departing prior to the 11th February is in high demand with some lines already booked to capacity. If you require cargo to sail prior to the Chinese New Year, please contact your POWERHOUSE Logistics representative as soon as possible.
Below are some additional points that we would like to bring to your attention:
FCL Cargo from China:
- Cargo may be subject to "roll over" (transferred to a later departing vessel) at any time prior to the CNY holiday and this is likely to continue once the CNY holidays have ended.
- Due to increased demand, Asian ports are experiencing delays due to heavy port congestion. Ships are waiting in line significantly longer than normal, leading to vessels being days, and in many cases more than a week, behind their normal schedule.
- The Port Congestion surcharge for cargo routed via Sydney is still in effect with most lines charging USD 285.00 per TEU (Twenty foot Equivalent) for cargo discharging at Sydney.
LCL Cargo from China:
- The current LCL schedule before CNY is also facing high demand. The serious delays to the sailing schedule will continue to impact the availability for LCL cargo, as such we recommend booking cargo well in advance.
- LCL cargo rates have increased significantly per cbm for sailings from China due to a major increase in container freight costs.
China Customs During the CNY Period:
Generally, China Customs arrange skeleton staff to be on duty, or half day duty, during CNY at the major seaports. However, customs will be operating at a lower efficiency due to less working staff and decreased operating hours. Therefore, we would suggest the following points to ensure your cargo does not face further delays:
- All shipments must be handled/completed customs clearance before the CNY.
- The full set of correct customs clearance documents must be provided to our overseas agents prior to the holidays so that documents can be checked in order to avoid any problems/questions such as wrong HS code etc Shippers, if required, will not be able to revise the documents during CNY and Customs Broker will also be off duty.
Local Trucking Services:
- Considering the current serious equipment shortage, the appointment of truckers will be very challenging leading up to CNY. As such we would like to suggest raising the booking well in advance at least 5-7 days (FCL) & 2-3 days (LCL).
- As is the case every year, there unfortunately will be increases in the trucking costs prior to and during the CNY.
- Once trucking services are confirmed, there also will be additional charges in case of any cancellations, time changes or any service changes.
Please do not hesitate to contact your POWERHOUSE representative to discuss any of the above.